21 April 2008

General decline

What's the world coming to? I mean, I'm starting to feel overrun by foreigners.

No, I'm not a redneck. Hear me out...

So, today, I was having lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant with my friend, Luann, who is Vietnamese, and it was time to order. A nice Vietnamese gentleman came to our table for this very purpose. He asked what I wanted to drink, and I told him, "Tra da."

"What?"

"Tra da."

"Ummm...."

"Iced tea."

"Oh, okay. And what would you like to eat?"

"Ga xiao ca ri."

"Uh..."

"Chicken curry."

"Cool."

He took our menus and left. I looked at Luann, and said, "I like to be openminded, but I believe that if you want to come to this country and work here, you should be required to learn Vietnamese." She agreed.

Oh, and to clarify... I'm a Choctaw, so to me English is a foreign language. I think it's originally from Australia, or something. They (Australians) just developed an accent over the years, while White US immigrants kept the language pure.

1 comment:

HermitJim said...

Maybe you should have talked to the waiter in Texican...sometimes that works better than anything! Must be the accent, or something!

Jim